A Career of Compassion

Protect Your Pets: 3 Springtime Toxins To Keep An Eye Out For

Springtime is the time of year when everything is coming back to life and your pets are loving the heat from the sunlight and ready to roll out in the grass. Your pets may really enjoy springtime, but there are things you need to keep an eye out for to help protect your beloved pets. Some things that come about in the spring could end up toxic to your pet and you need to watch your pets carefully. Read on for a few things you watch for this spring.

1. Daffodils

Daffodils can be toxic to your dog if ingested. Keep an eye on your dog when he's outside and make sure he isn't eating any part of the plant, also watch to see if he's eating any other plants as well. If you have a cat, keep an eye on your cat as well to be sure he isn't eating any part of this plant or any other plants as well. If your cat or dog is eating daffodils, or ingests the bulb of these plants, it could be toxic. Your dog or cat may begin vomiting or have other stomach troubles. If you see this occurring after ingesting this plant or another plant, take your pet to the veterinarian right away.

2. Rabbit Feces

Rabbits are running rampant in the springtime, which means you're going to find piles of their feces in your yard as well. For whatever reason, dogs seem to think these are tasty treats. Try to keep your dog from eating rabbit feces though, as it can cause your dog to get worms. Keep an eye on your dog's stool and look out for worms. If you see this happening, contact your veterinarian and take a stool sample along with your dog to the office for an exam.

3. Pesticides And Fertilizers

Spring is the time of year when pests are coming out and you may begin spraying your home inside or outside, or leaving out baits to kill these pests inside your home. These pesticides can be harmful to your pets, so be sure to use them appropriately and keep your pets away from them. You may also start using fertilizer in your yard for a nice plush yard, but you need to use them when your pet is not outside and allow it to dry thoroughly before you allow your pets outside in the yard. Read the manufacturer's instructions on pesticides and fertilizers before using them and try to look for more natural alternatives instead.

Keep an eye on your pets this spring to protect them from everyday items that can be harmful to them. If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, take them to the veterinarian right away for an exam and for treatment.